Saturday 24 August 2013

Writing away ...

So while finalising everything for Spurn - A Walker Saga Book Two's release I am working on book three. Writing is definitely a process and I am constantly amazed at how differently everyone approaches it. Some people sit down and plan out the entire series/book step by step, chapter by chapter. They might write chapter five today and chapter twelve tomorrow. Some writers even start with the ending FIRST (crazy). I'm assuming that once they know how it all comes together and how the characters feel they can fill in the rest of the story.

Not me ... nope I tend to sit down and just write, from the start of the story all the way till the end. I could never write the ending before my characters experience everything that happens during each chapter. For me, I need to see how they grow, learn and change into the people they eventually become. And besides a basic idea of the overall journey, planning is redundant, since they are all strong willed and have a mind of their own; I get very little say in how it all turns out.

Sometimes I find I need a distraction from writing, when things are getting stagnate in my story. So I begin my search for a new book, since I read an average novel in about two hours. 

BUT here is my current dilemma, everything I read lately leaves me a little disappointed. Has the process of becoming an author changed the way I view other's work? Am I missing the control I have in my own world to guarantee that the story develops in a way I enjoy? Or must I broaden my horizon and find better books?

I guess I'll keep searching for that series which holds me captivated and has me eagerly anticipating the next chapter.


Any suggestions??

2 comments:

  1. Just finished First World - really enjoyed it and am looking forward to #2 when it comes out. Have you ever read the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews or the Bite Back series from Mark Henwick? Both are my fall backs for when I want something to read and don't have anything new in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you so much for the comment. Book 2 (Spurn) 3 (Crais) & 4 (Regali) of the Walker Saga are currently available on Amazon. And 2&3 should be up on the other retailers very soon.

    I was just discussing the Kate Daniels series with a friend the other day, I said I couldn't get in to the first book and she suggested I try again because it took her awhile but now she loves them. So thank you for the suggestions, I'm about to give it another decent try to capture me as it has so many others. :)

    Happy reading!
    Jaymin :)

    ReplyDelete